Sunday 29 October 2017

Evaluation Questions

What have you learn't so far?
So far, through the research and planning of existing long and short horror films, I have a clear idea of what I will be doing and know how to make my horror film sufficient enough to be considered as a 'horror film'. Furthermore, through the horror convention which I attended on the 28th October, I managed collect key ideas and visuals of what to include in my horror films and what not to. Throughout my journey of researching and planning, I have acquired and understood the skill of what makes a decent horror movie and segments of which I should include and not. Overall, I have understood the basics of filming and the expectations compared to the reality of filming and knowing that Horror films take time and dedication specifically to be a decent movie. For example, the Conjuring was a horror movie which I researched, within the movie were a wide range of editing effects. The effects used allowed me to learn and later adapt ideas to my own movie. The reason this has helped me greatly, was because due to the Conjuring being a successful horror movie, it allowed to gain and insight of water editing effects such as the 'Glitch' effect, 'Bad TV', 'Fuzzy Scrolling' effects were used to empathise the scary scenes in more details. Furthermore, it also allowed me to ensure that I use the create level of pace, such as when to increase the pace and what editing effects will be ideal to express it. 
How have you learn't it? 
The first method used to learn about the horror genre is simply watching existing horror movies, consisting of a big horror movie and a short one. I watched more short horror films as I found that it matches with my theme of also making a short horror movie, allowing me to more prominently used, develop and adapt ideas more easily. Furthermore, as evidently stated before, secondly, I attended the Horror Convention on the 28th October which gave me the opportunity to interview existing actors and authors whom are dedicated within the Horror genre. This allowed me to collectively ask questions regarding my plot and generic questions which will allow me to improve any future shots and considerations taken when I start filming. I also identified a wide range of individuals dressed up in a certain manner through the use of props, language (dialogue), gestures and generally movement, which will allow me to be more engaging with shooting the horror movie as I have past experience of this for the antagonist. Lastly, I also identified the use of Hair and Make Up (Mise en Scene) and analysed how the Make up was simply adapted and turned into a scar, stab, cut and making it looks scary and realistic, which is the primary aim of my horror movie. From the feedback from the convention and the survey's conducted, it allowed me to gain a wider variety of ideas of what not to do and what to include. Put simply, it is what the audience expects and wants which will further develop the horror movie. The survey and more precisely the convention allowed me to learn new editing effects, and gain ideas of plot series and how to adapt my own ideas into the plot without making significant changes. As mentioned by one authors I interviewed which is evident in my 'Horror Con Vlog 2017' - he states that it's all on adapting your own ideas through 'trial and error' 
How will it help you?
Overall, through the research and planning, viewing multiple short horror films and attending the horror convention. I can simply collect all my ideas and ensure that I have the best possible plot idea, character profiles, settings, location and camera work which was discussed and identified at the horror convention and through the research and planning, which will evidently ensure I am able to develop the best possible horror movie. Furthermore, It will also allow me to take in consideration the trial and error attempts of shooting, have a fixed time consideration and ensure to be self-patient as when shooting and filming, I have gathered through my research and planning (more prominently the horror convention) when talking/interviewing the directors and actors remotely, I have been suggested to ensure I am prepared to be patient and considerable when filming as the clips will be required to be re-filmed. Overall it has ensured and prepared me to what expect and the outcome of the movie, which will hopefully be unique and entertainingly fitting within the horror genre, through the research/planning ideas and the Horror Convention. 

1 comment:

  1. WWW:
    - You have a good general awareness of the four key concepts
    - You are able to reflect upon feedback that you have gained

    EBI:
    - You need to be much more specific about what you have learnt in relation to your own role of editing - can you identify scene examples from films within your research where you have seen effective editing and explain what you have learnt?
    - What exactly have you learnt within your feedback from the convention and your surveys that has changed and adapted ideas within your film?

    ReplyDelete